Section and Regional History
A Narrative History of the Northeast Tennessee Section of the
American Chemical Society (NETS-ACS)
Chemicals From Coal – National Historic Chemical Landmark
NETS Teacher of the Year
|1994||Mr. Carl Steven Rapp, University School|
|1995||Ms. Joan Schartung, Tn High|
|1996||Ms. Jennifer Birchfield, Elizabethton High|
|1997||Ms. Nancy Bovender, Dobyns Bennett |
NETS Technician of the Year
*National Award Winner.
Section Awards and Nominations
- Won Phoenix Award in category of “Best Open-House Activity”; Shawn Tonnies, 1991 NCW coordinator.
- Won the Outstanding Technician Affiliate Group Award; Tim Guinn was the TAG chairman.
- Won Phoenix Award in category of ” Greatest Membership Involvement”. Also nominated in categories of “Most Creative Activity and “Best Event in a Museum or Library”; Steve Perri, 1992 NCW coordinator.
- Won the Outstanding Technician Affiliate Group Award; Linda Rothwell was the TAG chariman.
- Won Phoenix Award in category of “Greatest Industrial Involvement”; nominated in the category of “Best Media Coverage”; Renee Niziurski-Mann, was the 1993 NCW coordinator.
- Won award from Council Committee on Public Relations for media coverage of Section events, especially NCW events; Shawn Tonnies, PR Chair, Renee Niziurski-Mann, 1993 NCW coordinator.
- Won Society Award for Outstanding Section in the Medium Size Category; Rick Offerman was the 1993 Chair.
- Won Society Award for Outstanding Section in the Medium Size Category; David Allen was the 1994 Chair.
- Won Phoenix Award in category of “Best Media Coverage”; Shawn Kerrick was the 1994 NCW coordinator.
- Won the Award for Outstanding Performance for Public Relations, awarded by the Committee on Public Relations; Liz West was the 1994 Publicity Committee Chair.
- Rodney Bradley, Technician Associate, ECCR, was named “1994 Technician of the Year” by the Division of Chemical Technicians.
- Eastman Chemical Company received the ACS Division Director Award for contributions to the success of NETS.
- Dennis Marshall, Technician Associate, TEOC, was named “1995 Technician of the Year” by the Division of Chemical Technicians.
- Awarded a Certificate of Excellence for 1995 programs; Steve Perri was the 1995 Section Chair.
- Nominated for Phoenix Award in the category of “Best Overall Community Involvement” for 1995 NCW activites; Heather Brink was the 1995 NCW coordinator.
- Awarded a Certificate of Excellence for 1996 programs; John Sanders was the 1996 Section Chair
- Randall Perry, Technician Associate, ECCR, was named “1996 Technician of the Year” by the Division of Chemical Technicians.
- Awarded the 1996 Phoenix Award for “Best Media Coverage” for 1996 National Chemistry Week celebration.
- Awarded a Certificate of Excellence for 1997 programs; Renee Niziurski-Mann was the 1997 Section Chair.
- Won Society Award for Outstanding Section in the Medium Size Category; Lori Wilson was the 1999 Chair.
- Nominated for Phoenix Awards in Most Unique Demonstration Program and in Best Activity for a Specific Audience.
- Won Society Award for Outstanding Section in the Medium Size Category; Craig Lott was the 1999 Chair.
- Won ChemLunimary Award for Greatest Industrial Involvement for 2001 National Chemistry Week Activities.
- Won ChemLuminary Award for Division/Local Section Activity
- Won ChemLuminary Award for National Chemistry Week
ETSU Student Affiliate Chapter Awards
The Charter for the chapter was signed Feb 4, 1954 by ACS president Harry Fisher. No records exist prior to 1973. Commendable status was received in two other years in this time span.
|1988-89||Jeff Wardeska, Barbara Bunn||Outstanding|
|1992-93||Jeff Wardeska, Lori Wilson||Outstanding|
|1995-96||Jeff Wardeska||Outstanding, Divison Director’s Award|
|1996-97||Jeff Wardeska, Lori Wilson||Outstanding|
|1997-98||Jeff Wardeska, Lori Wilson||Outstanding|
|1998-99||Jeff Wardeska, Tammy Davidson||Honorable Mention|
|1999-2000||Jeff Wardeska, Tammy Davidson||Honorable Mention|
Speakers of the Year and Distinguished Member Award Recipients
Speaker of the Year
|1960-61||H. W. Patton|
|1961-62||H. W. Coover, Jr.|
|1962-63||J. W. Tamblyn|
|1963-64||J. R. Caldwell|
|1964-65||K. B. Whetsel|
|1965-66||K. C. Brannock|
|1966-67||V. W. Goodlett|
|1967-68||L. D. Moore|
|1968-69||R. L. McConnell|
|1970-71||C. A. Glover|
|1971-72||E. L. McDaniel|
|1972-73||G. R. Lappin|
|1973-74||C. A. Boye|
|1975-76||T. S. Huang|
|1981-82||D. M. Pond|
|1982-83||J. A. Hyatt|
|1983-84||R. T. Bogan|
|1984-85||M. A. Weaver|
|1985-86||J. G. Wardeska|
|1988-89||Dale Van Sickle|
|1990-91||Richard Kopp and Marsha Ottem|
|1996||Steve Falling and John Monier|
Distinguished Member Award
The Speaker of the Year honor was renamed the Distinguished Member Award beginning in 2011.
|2016||Zhufang Liu and Scott Kirby|
The Historical Officers page provides a list of historical NETS-ACS Chairs (1932-2003) and NETS-ACS Officers (2004-).